Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question. These are very small and lightweight knives which give surprising comfort and control, … Made with 5Cr15MoV stainless steel and a micarta handle, the Minimalist Tanto can be carried … Of the two I would probably favor the Minimalist Bowie. It's light and strong to wear on your belt or carry as a neck knife. CRKT knives are fantastic. It can be a little difficult to get an even sharpening on it but that comes with practice. Considering the amount of sparks I was getting, I would probably remove the piece of hacksaw from my fire steel to save a couple of ounces in gear and streamline things a bit. Tanto; Wharncliffe; Blade Length: 0" to 2" 2" to 3" 3" to 4" 4" to 5" 5" to 10" 10" to 15" 15"+ Go; CRKT Minimalist. neck knives aren't our first choice. My (kydex?) Reviewed in the United States on August 15, 2017. ... CRKT minimalist Bowie knife field test and honest review - Duration: 7:20. The standard, original K.I.S.S. 14:29. CRKT makes great knives, they're sharp and they stay sharp. Next: Knife Review – Benchmade Griptilian 551. With all that being said. The CRKT Minimalist is a small and lightweight fixed blade that offers surprising control and versatility. CRKT M16-14ZSF Folding Tanto Knife Review. It has a ton of usability and is nice to look at. CRKT 2386 Minimalist Tanto Tctbnl. CRKT does a nice job on the neck sheaths on these as well. I am a huge fan of neck knives in general and have several in my collection, all of them produced by CRKT. I don't really have any lanyards on any of my other blades so It's probably just me, but I would have kept the lanyard on if it was more ridged (in line with the spine of the knife), slightly thicker and about half an inch shorter. While these … CRKT Minimalist Tanto Knife by Alan Folts - 5.13in Overall Length (2) $39.89 (Save 15%) $33.89 CRKT M16 -03s Classic (1) $79.99 (Save 13%) $69.99 2 models CRKT Heiho 7in Folding Blade Tactical Knife … These knives are extremely light and comfortable to wear and with the adjustable cord they can be made to fit any torso. CRKT Minimalist Tanto Knife: Compact Fixed Blade Knife, Folts Utility Knife with Bead Blast Blade, Resin Infused Fiber Handle, and Sheath 2386 Average Rating: ( 5.0 ) stars out of 5 stars 3 ratings , based on 3 reviews Reviewed in the United States on January 17, 2017. The blade snaps right into place and stays there. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. I chose the Tanto blade mainly because I had little experience with this blade shape, and wanted to spend some time getting to know it. In the woods or around the house they … I removed this and attached an IWB belt loop. I am a huge fan of neck knives in general and have several in my collection, all of them produced by CRKT. I love the kydex sheath. One of my favorite things about the Minimalist is the exceptional utility. Many hikers are very concerned with the overall weight of the gear they carry. You Might Also Like. This is one of the best knives that I have purchased here on Amazon. I manage a body shop and use this knife to open parts boxes, cut automotive masking paper, strip wire etc. I luv CRKT’s knifes but not sure I trust them now. I suggest looking at a Minimalist for their kits. I did find it somewhat easier to shave with the Minimalist Tanto initially. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. / CRKT M16-14ZSF Folding Tanto Knife Review. There is some jimping to provide more control. As Ian stated, the finger grooves at first seem limiting until you actually use the knives and then you realize that they actually nestle into the hand quite nicely. The CRKT Folts designed Minimalist is the perfect neck knife. However, I was quite impressed with how easy they were to use, and over time they didn’t bother my hands as much as other small knives in my collection. Clearly it creates an ease of access to a cutting tool, and you know it is there. It is a stout design that can also be a great option for EDC. Both Tim and Scott had a chance to fiddle around with the Minimalist during the hike and both thought the design and functionality of the knives were pretty good. The Minimalist has a nice grind on the blade, with a strong tip. At no point did either knife fall out of the sheath while wearing them, yet they remained easy to remove when you needed them. You can still see all customer reviews for the product. Reviewed in the United States on February 21, 2015. Plan to buy the others (tanto, karambit) as well. And like I said previously I do use this often kayak fishing so it is exposed to water frequently. I have large hands and usually knives of this size don’t work all that well for me. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Reviewed in the United States on October 22, 2016. The sheath holds firmly and secure. I thought 5 inches would be too long for a neck knife, but the adjustable cord keeper provides full control over hanging length. Last Updated: September 12, 2018 The CRKT Folts Minimalist is an intriguing design from acclaimed custom knife maker Allan Folts. The knife itself weighs in at 1.7 oz, and the blade is 0.11 inches, or 3mm thick, and the length of actual cutting surface on the blade is exactly 2 inches. I have thicker hands and fingers and didn't expect something so small to fit so well. CRKT Minimalist Review Intended use of the CRKT Minimalist In my opinion this little knife is perfect for utility tasks that you'll encounter throughout your general everyday carry. It gives you a good purchase on the blade and great control. Even if you you don’t normally carry a fixed blade knife, the Minimalist is discrete and can be easily slipped into a pocket. Can’t stand getting there junk now I won’t buy CRKT prob ever again. The hollow ground blades are 2.125 inches in length and are made from 5Cr15MoV steel with a bead-blasted finish. Both knives measure 5.13 inches in length and weigh an extremely light 1.6 ounces. The tanto blade design is great. Language: English Location: United States Restricted Mode: Off History Help After using the two new versions of the Folts Minimalist, the Bowie and the Tanto, I would probably choose those over the Neckolas. When you don't want to get your edc folder super dirty and have to clean it, the Minimalist shines. This little knife is excellent for EDC. It's held up nicely! I usually carry a couple of knives when hiking and generally favor larger fixed blades and folders for any kind of woods use. I liked that they came with paracord too, rather than cheaper braided nylon neck cords. Although, I must say, on occasion I wonder if a CRKT SPEW (designed by the same man that designed this knife, Alan Folts) would have better suited my needs. I prefer this one to the Keramin for my particular applications. It's never fallen out. The Columbia River Knife And Tool's Folts Minimalist Tanto 2386 Razor Edge Tanto Blade is an excellent EDC neck knife that comes with an attachment for the sheath that provides the ability to carry on the belt in any vertical or horizontal configuration. There is a breakaway paracord neck lanyard that is laced through the holes. The holes allow easy attachment with paracord or universal belt clips. I went back and forth on 4 or 5 stars; I would give it a 4.7. Reviewed in the United States on September 25, 2016. I also think that they wouldn’t make a bad choice for a car survival kit, bug out bag, or even for self-defense. These compact fixed blade knives with tough handles come in a variety of different blade styles. My next small fixed blade purchase will likely be a SPEW. Blades & Tools. With that said, when I had it on, my pinkie wrapped around it decently well (Medium gloved hands) All in all, It's a great knife for anyone in the market for a small fixed blade, and at the price, its extremely hard to beat. Back in June of 2009 Senior Editor Garret Lucas reviewed CRKT’s Folts Minimalist Knife. I really like this knife. I wear it on my belt, upside down and all I do is walk and move in all positions all day. Of the two versions, I did find the Minimalist Bowie to be easier and less time consuming to make a stake with over the Tanto bladed Minimalist. With a lil bit of Hoppe's gun oil, the blade has yet to develop a spot of rust, even after numerous (freshwater) kayaking and swimming trips. They are very small and lightweight knives which offer surprising comfort and control, thanks to the unusual geometry of the … These knives do feel a little weird, but once you figure out how your hand fits (pinky finger kind of sits on the end of the handle locking it in your hand in a way) you'll find that they are great minimalist knives. The CRKT Tanto Minimalist knife 2386 is an Alan Folts designed small fixed blade knife. The whole apparatus weighs only 2.19 oz and though noticeable while wearing, it is not too heavy nor bulky, with the micarta scaled handle measuring just 0.40 inches in width, making the sheath just 0.53 inches at its widest point. The grip is awesome. Earlier this year I wrote up the CRKT Renner Neckolas which I thought very highly of. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. In addition to the EDC use, I got to do a day hike with fellow Woods Monkey Associate Editor Tim Stetzer and Contributing Editor Scott Wickham. I am beyond pleased with CRKT's minimalist(s). The knife is well made and I expect it to last years; although, I will knock one star on craftsmanship for the sharpening because the bevel was not even on both sides of the blade and grinder lines are quite noticeable. This is another area where the design of the knife proves its effectiveness. However, it did leave some marks and grooving on the knife. Reviewed in the United States on February 21, 2018. They can do the big jobs of a normal fixed blade to a degree. The Minimalist’s make a great camp kitchen knife as well. I happened to be on a military base … I have been a fan of CRKT knives for over 10 years, I really appreciate the brands commitment to quality and great design. Reviewed in the United States on December 2, 2019. Both knives did routine tasks like cutting nylon rope and paracord with ease too. CRKT’s best-known product remains the K.I.S.S. Fantastic little bugger!! I purchased this as a gift to give to a family member but when receiving I found it very hard to part with and almost kept it for myself. This is based on his design of the same name; his Minimalist costs around $120 and the CRKT … series of knives, the main element of the company’s “Everyday Carry” line of all-purpose folding knives. Handle is 100% needing more work & a quality control persons approval. I had already owned many CRKT products, including the Alan Folts designed S.P.E.W., and after procrastinating for a while I pulled the trigger on a Minimalist … The nice quality paracord necklace measures approximately 32 inches and can be untied, cut, and retied to fit to the user's preference. This article will focus on these new offerings; the Bowie and Tanto. CRKT MINIMALIST TANTO REVIEW - Duration: 14:29. Due to the design of the Zytel sheath the Minimalist can also be oriented to accommodate both right and left handed users making it truly ambidextrous. Overall, I liked both versions of the CRKT Folts Minimalist that I tested for this article a great deal. The CRKT Minimalist Tanto Knife has a 2.125" Tanto … Sorry I waited so long to buy this little knife. Whichever model you prefer, they’re solid, comfortable little blades that perform bigger than their size would imply. The price for the Minimalist is extremely affordable and can be found on numerous websites that sell all versions of the Minimalist for around $20.00, proving that you don’t need to spend a ton of money of a functional and well-made knife. They also include a small woven lanyard pull that helps to easily remove the knife from the sheath. You can cut pretty much anything with great precision and if you have any sort of detail work that requires a fine blade, I think it makes a good choice. Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) showed off its new Minimalist Black Drop Point knife at the SHOT Show this year. There is a coating of some type on the blade I believe it is to prevent rusting maybe? Lets face it. – Tim Stetzer, Getting ready for the fire competition at the, TOPS Knives “Pathfinder School” Knife Review, CRKT Folts Minimalist Bowie and Tanto Review, The Olight R20 Javelot Rechargeable Flashlight, Seven Ways To Light a Fire Without a Match. It carries well around your neck or stashed in a bag. CRKT Minimalist Tanto Neck Knife: Compact Fixed Blade Knife, Folts Utility Knife with Bead Blast Blade, Resin Infused Fiber Handle, and Sheath 2386 Visit the Columbia River Knife & Tool Store 4.8 out of 5 … I can see the Tanto version of the Minimalist being used in my leather working gear. January 3, 2011 Usually when making tent stakes I use a much bigger knife, but I found that the Minimalist did a decent job cutting notches in the stake. S u r v i v a l W e a p o n s 789 views. See all details for CRKT Minimalist Tanto Neck Knife: Compact Fixed Blade Knife, Folts... © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. It came razor sharp out of the box. This page works best with JavaScript. Check out my pic. This usefulness on detail work carries over to other tasks as well. Both blades are certainly still usable for most tasks but before I take them out into the woods again I will hone the edges of them on my CRKT Slide-Sharp system (which we reviewed here on Woods Monkey back in August of 2009). A knife that weighs in at less than two ounces and that can serve a multitude of purposes makes a great fit. I appreciate that. CRKT Minimalist Tanto. The CRKT Minimalist Tanto gives you the performance of a regular-sized tanto knife in a much smaller size. I was also successful in using the flat potion of the spine as well. This article will focus on these new offerings; the Bowie and Tanto. For 2010 CRKT has added two new blade styles to the Minimalist line. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. The CRKT Minimalist Neck Knife w/ Tanto Blade is a very small and lightweight knife which gives surprising comfort and control, thanks to the unusual geometry of the full-tang blade, aided by three finger choils, hand-contoured green/black resin impregnated fiber scales, and a braided fob. There isn't a stain or spot of rust anywhere on either knife. By Aaron. IE: Opening boxes, packages, … They definitely proved that they are well made, multifunctional utility knives. Toll Free: 800-891-3100 Local: 503-685-5015 Fax: 503-682-9680 Email: webcontact@crkt.com The handle material is black polished Micarta with subtle hints of green that are held in place on the tang with two torx screws. There isn't any space in the handle the pinky - but the braid on the end helps provide somewhere to hold. Tom McElroy-Wild Survival … This design allows for a significant amount of control while using the blade. Reviewed in the United States on March 15, 2017. Reviewed in the United States on January 23, 2017. model, designed by Ed Halligan, features a Tanto … I have to say I'm pretty impressed with this $20 blade. -Price Paid: N/A-Used for Every Day Carry-Owned for 6 months Comments: I got this knife as a gift on fathers day,I uae it as an everyday carry general purpose knife.It holds an edge very well it has had only … Columbia River CRKT 2387 Folts Minimalist Neck Knife 2.13" Bead Blasted Bowie Blade, Green Micarta Handles, Kydex Sheath J Legault Think field paring knife. The full tang knife measures 5.10 inches from tip to end of the handle (not including fob), and just 5.26 inches including the sheath. It was designed by Alan Folts, who makes all sorts of things from knives to swords to titanium chop sticks. It is surprisingly comfortable and while it may be a little weird to look at it grows on you. I like the overall look of the knife a bit more and found it easier to use for carving and whittling. Sheath holds the knife very securely and the knife doesn't rattle around in it. I liked the original Wharncliffe model that Garrett initially tested but after handling all three I find the Bowie to be my favorite. The last test I used both versions of the Minimalist on was in fire starting, as Scott recommended. However, after using the Minimalists’ over the last couple of weeks I can definitely see a place for one of these knives in my kit. For some people the Minimalist may seem bit small but I highly recommend trying one out as you won’t be disappointed. Editors Note:  As Ian mentioned, Scott and I had a chance to check out the knives while he was testing them as well. Scott recommended trying to start a fire with them, which we later did as you’ll see below. The first test I used both versions of the Minimalist on was in creating tent stakes and some general whittling. IN THIS VIDEO I REVIEW THE CRKT MINIMALIST TANTO. If the M16 helped make CRKT more popular, the KISS is what helped put the brand on the map. I was able to get a good amount of spark with both knives using a large Fast-Fire fire steel. This is the Minimalist, model 2385. Gear Review: CRKT Septimo Folding Knife Up for review today we have the Septimo – a knife designed by a combat veteran and Green Beret Jeremy Valdez. According to CRKT – it “was designed by a … I ordered the Bowie & Tanto on separate dates. Plus Tanto blade not sharp & looks like it’s been resharpened!!! I have to admit, I really like these little Folts neckers. Reviewed in the United States on May 25, 2020. They’re a very trim, compact design, but they hold on to the knife securely with just the right balance of retention and ease of use. I found that the ridged area were the thumb rests on the spine was a great place to get a lot spark. Alan Folts is a knifemaker and metalworker in Greenville, N.C., who makes a remarkable range of custom objects, including titanium chopsticks. CRKT Minimalist Tanto Neck Knife: Compact Fixed Blade Knife, Folts... CRKT Minimalist Tanto Neck Knife: Compact Fixed Blade Knife, Folts Utility Knife with Bead Blast Blade, Resin Infused Fiber Handle, and Sheath 2386. Alan Folts is a knifemaker and metalworker in Greenville, N.C., who makes a remarkable range of custom objects, including titanium chopsticks. The Maineiacguy 5,609 views. I recently had the … The deep finger groves/choils lock this little knife into your hands. The sheath has three holes in the top and bottom side. Back in June of 2009 Senior Editor Garret Lucas reviewed CRKT’s Folts Minimalist Knife.
2020 crkt minimalist tanto review